Modular Home Advantages & Information
What is a Modular Home?
Modular homes are permanent structures or “real property.” Fast becoming increasingly popular all around the world, modular homes are prefabricated in sections in a climate-controlled and factory-like environment.
This allows modular home builders the opportunity to build many homes each year. Once built to specification, a modular home is ready to build to completion. They are then covered and transported to a building site where they’re assembled by certified contractors and put together with cranes to exact specifications.
Modular Homes are not Mobile Homes
The difference between modular homes and mobile homes is night and day. Modular homes are built on a foundation, which means modular homes can’t be moved around like mobile homes. Not only are their fixtures not built for travel, but they don’t have attachments that would support any type of simple relocation. Once, again, mobile homes are permanent structures and sold, financed, and insured just like any home built on-site. They will be appraised just like any other house that’s been completely built on-site as well. That means home loans, taxes, and insurance premiums are also pretty much identical to any home that’s permanently built onsite.
Modular Homes are not A New Concept
Using prefabricated materials and modular processes have been utilized in construction since ancient times. In fact, almost 2000 years ago, the Romans used prefabricated components so they could build their forts as fast as possible when they ultimately defeated Britain. One of the most iconic structures on earth, the famous Eiffel Tower was constructed with prefabricated iron in 1889, and China more recently erected an almost 60 story modular skyscraper in less than three weeks.
Modular Homes Have Many Advantages
- Usually much more affordable than homes built on-site as it is much more efficient which reduces overall costs of construction
- Materials are prefabricated in quality-controlled industrial environments which provide better quality materials for a more durable structure
- Inspected several times during the fabrication process which helps eliminate the chances of erecting a weakened structure
- Often constructed using the most environmentally friendly and recyclable materials possible
- Extremely durable and can be built to endure any outdoor environment and withstand winds of up to 175 mph.
- Constructed using the highest quality modular materials so that structures will be able to last for well over half a century
- Built offsite in indoor controlled environments which removes the majority of construction distractions, debris and weather variables.
- Offer a wide range of custom features, such as exterior finishes, floor coverings, plumbing fixtures, countertop surfaces, and cabinet styles
- Can be used to create anything, from small cabins (tiny homes) to large commercial and residential properties.
- Modular construction can be used for commercial applications, including office buildings and individual small offices.
- Can be viewed, customized, and digitally edited as complete, by the client before the home is even purchased.
Modular Homes Have Flexible Designs
Construction of modular housing allows for them to be designed in a variety of styles possible a wide range of design options. Once the design and type of modular home has been chosen, the general specifications of a modular home can be customized, modified, and upgraded. From entire floor plans and elevation to the siding and window style, as well as the colors and styles of carpet, vinyl, counters, and bathroom fixtures, there are almost endless possibilities of combinations for a totally unique home.
Modular Homes Are Cost Efficient
Because a modular home uses in-house materials and takes drastically less time to construct, they cost much less than traditional styles of homes. And because all required inspections are carried out throughout the fabrication process in the factory, the cost of multiple home inspections is included in construction costs.
Modular Homes Are Energy Efficient
The combination of the very latest in technology, with reliable construction techniques, and quality engineering of modular homes significantly increases their overall energy-efficiency. Regardless of weather, modular homes are much more environmentally friendly and cost- efficient, all but ensuring monthly bills are cheaper than in a traditionally built home. Built to exact specifications, the homes are extremely air tight and help keep the heat in and cold out.
Why Choose Modular Homes?
As modular homes continue to evolve, it seems like they’ll have a much larger role in the housing industry of the future. They have a streamlined and efficient construction process and are increasing in durability, versatility, and affordability, but most importantly, modular homes can be a truly magnificent home. If total unique customization is not a high priority, but quality and dependability is, one can save up to 50% over a new construction home especially if the land is already owned. Remember, a Modular home can be placed or built to fit on almost any land surface.
Contact Rocky Mountain Base Camp to see if a modular home will work for you.